As we desire to progress and grow in the new year, we want to hopefully get closer to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, and we hopefully want to develop an even deeper relationship through the power of the Holy Spirit, amen? How do we get closer to God and what can we do to enter into His Holy presence?
In the Bible, it says to enter into His courts and gate with thanksgiving and praise. The key to His presence is to worship the Lord.
Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name. (Psalm 100:4)
Worship the LORD in the splendor of his holiness; tremble before him, all the earth. (Psalm 96:9)
10 Ways to Go Deeper in Worship with God
1. Worship: We honor God in worship with our lives-time, treasure/giving and talent. We also honor the Lord through singing, praising, giving thanks and the vehicle of music. Our lives should always be edifying to God, but singing and making hymns or being creative unto the Lord Almighty blesses Him and enters us into His mighty presence and power.
You are holy; you sit as king receiving the praises of Israel. (Psalm 22:3)
Exalt the LORD our God and worship at his holy mountain, for the LORD our God is holy. (Psalm 99:9)
2. Pray: Seek God’s face, and sit alone with Him to really focus on Him and hear His voice. Remove distractions such as cell phones (unless you’re reading a Bible app, of course), and remove yourself from anything that may sidetrack you. Sit somewhere quiet where you can just be.
He says, “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.” (Psalm 46:10)
But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. (Matthew 6:6)
3. Kneel down and give thanks: Either say out loud what you are thankful for or write down the many blessings you want to thank God for.
Oh come, let us worship and bow down; let us kneel before the LORD, our Maker! (Psalm 95:6)
4. Listen to a worship music playlist: I love the new Bethel CD by Amanda Cook called Brave New World, and love any Hillsong United, Kari Jobe or Natalie Grant CD. Also, I love the new artist Lauren Daigle. Check out any of these artists on YouTube or Spotify, and just worship the King!
5. Memorize scripture: Focus and meditate on God’s Holy Word, which is truth and life. The Bible says that the Word of God is like living water that refreshes our souls. When we focus on the truth and rehearse it, we are like a spring that is gushing with life, truth and water to share with others. Like the Word says, out of your bellies will flow rivers of living water, which basically means we will be feeding others the bread of life (Christ), and the living water, which is the Word of God.
When Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty.” (John 6:35)
6. Worship Him genuinely: God is looking for those who seek Him out WHOLE-heartedly in spirit and in truth.
Jesus said to her, "…But the hour is coming, and is now here, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father is seeking such people to worship him. God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth." (John 4:21-24)
7. Be still and listen: Sometimes we need to hear diving instruction and orders from our commander in chief and Lord. When we obey, we are blessed and we please the King.
But Samuel replied: “Does the LORD delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices as much as in obeying the LORD? To obey is better than sacrifice, and to heed is better than the fat of rams.” (1 Samuel 15:22)
8. Humble yourself: We need to heed to the Lord and surrender. We need to listen to Him and go through with His plan.
The eyes of the arrogant will be humbled and human pride brought low; the LORD alone will be exalted in that day. (Isaiah 2:11)
9. Draw near to God: Ask God for forgiveness of anything hindering your faith walk and resist the enemy. Repentance isn’t just saying sorry, but it is a lifestyle change and is turning AWAY from poor choices and sin that hinder us from being closest to God’s presence.
Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. (James 4:8)
In the days of his flesh, Jesus offered up prayers and supplications, with loud cries and tears, to him who was able to save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverence. (Hebrews 5:7)
10. Ask for a heart of worship: Let us revere, honor and respect our Lord (Isaiah 6).
“I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.” (Galatians 2:20)
Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Father is not in them. (1 John 2:15)
PI Girls, how do you focus on the Lord in worship? Do you have advice on how to go deeper in His presence? Comment below!